Monday, September 2, 2013

No Greater Protection

I want to start off with saying I am so so sorry for not posting on this blog in literally FOREVER. (Translation: 3 months).  With Girl's Camp, 2 Family Reunions across the country, marching band camp and the start of school I have been so very busy.  I promise I'll try to do better now :)

At last October's general conference, Richard G. Scott said:
"Do you young people want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors, prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other ordinances as well. I can think of no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life."

Let's think about that again:
no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life 

Doesn't that coincide with what we all desire in life? Wouldn't we all love to be protected from sin and temptation? Is this not an essential step in our eternal progression?

Family history work is so empowering that there is no greater protection.

Last night I decided to read from a binder containing some journals and family history records from my mom's side of the family.  It was so much fun taking a step back into the past and learning about what life was life for my ancestors.  They didn't care about some of the insignificant things that concern us today.  They were truly concerned with their families. If they had food to eat and roof over their head, they were happy. 

 Some of the stories made me laugh.  Others were so heartbreaking that I wanted to cry.  But each one made me feel a greater connection to those who came before me.  

 My challenge to you is to start.  Start somewhere.   Start anywhere.  Read a family journal.  Index names.  Go on family search.org.  Prepare family names to go to the temple.  Go to the temple.  Whatever it is, I have a testimony that it will give you protection in this life.  It doesn't have to be a dreaded experience.  It can be an amazing, empowering, exciting experience if that's what you make it to be.   
 

 family history conference card

To end I want to share one last quote from Elder Scott:

"This work is a spiritual work, a monumental effort of cooperation on both sides of the veil, where help is given in both directions. Anywhere you are in the world, with prayer, faith, determination, diligence, and some sacrifice, you can make a powerful contribution. Begin now. I promise you that the Lord will help you find a way. And it will make you feel wonderful."




 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I have found Family History to be such a strength in my life, too. Thank you for this great reminder and for sharing your beautiful testimony!

    Hugs!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete